Saturday, May 1, 2010

In Excess

Looking for a cute gift to give on a budget can be a bust. I'm not creative enough to spruce up the mundane and make it into a treasure. I, therefore, decided that this time I would copy something from the internet. As luck would have it, I found a cute project with a tutorial, and off I went to JoAnn's Fabrics to rock the house with my new-found craftiness. (By the way, if you ever want to find a bitter woman, check the fabric counter at JoAnn's. They are the most cheerless bunch of sour grapes I've run across. High school seniors in Saturday School have nothing on these women.)

I'm a novice with sewing so I bought 8 yards of fabric for my project just in case. Tonight I began cutting the fabric... and reading the directions.

Let me break here and advise you of the importance of reading the directions. We all remember the elementary school teachers haranguing us about directions. It was for a reason. They are essential to life. Directions show you how to put your Ikea dining table together (Eftersom der findes mange forskellige vægmaterialer, medfølger der ikke skruer til vægmontering. For gode råd om forskellige skruesystemer, kontakt din lokale faghandel.), how to wash your hair (lather, rinse, repeat), how to Hokey Pokey (you put your right foot in, your put your right foot out). Life without directions is mayhem. Life without directions is 8 yards of fabric for a project that is the size of a 3x5 card.

Thanks to Steve, my algebra-wielding husband, the math has been done and I officially have 63 times more fabric than I need.

I am choosing to look at this, not in condemnation of my sloughing-off of the wisdom of my teachers, but rather, a celebration of the Girl Scouts. Be Prepared!

3 comments:

  1. Ok I was literally laughing out loud! You are totally right about the bitterness that lingers around the cut counter! 63 times more fabric than you needed?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least you can do your project 63 times now for other gifts or sell them on etsy.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana! You should be receiving a paycheck for your writing! You have such a way with words! This is too funny!

    ReplyDelete