Sunday, May 2, 2010

Music and Lryics, Part 2


The other day, I was using Gwen Stefani to help me describe my day to Steve: "This day is bananas b-a-n-a-n-a-s." Isabella asked us what the song was about and Steve answered her that it was about a girl who wears modest clothes. What?!
When I questioned him about it, he said, "Yeah. She doesn't wear hollowback dresses... isn't that a dress with no back?"
"No, it's Hollenbeck Girl. Not Hollowback Girl," I said authoritatively.
"Hollenbeck?" he questioned.

This lead me to yet another internet search, although this search didn't result in enough fabric to clothe two families. For the sake of being fair, I looked up "Hollowback Dress" to no avail. Tim Gunn would be pleased that I already knew there was no such thing as a hollowback dress. But what I did discover is that Hollowback is a breakdancing term - one that is super impressive might I add. Here's a picture of me performing a hollowback:

You can recognize me by the armpit hair and the Japanese undertones that my British/German genes naturally produced.

But what surprised me most was that the song is called "Hollaback Girl." Being the urban genius that I am - D-Dizzle is my street name - I hopped onto UrbanDictionary.com and unearthed this gem of an analysis:

Gwen Stefani uses the term brilliantly in her song "Hollaback Girl", both as
a simile and a metaphor. She’s letting the guys know that she ain’t a booty call
and that she’s not gonna be sitting around waiting for them to “holla back”.
She’s “been around the track a few times” so it’s not gonna happen again. She
uses the cheerleading terminology as a metaphor, she’s a “squad” leader not a
follower.

What depth.

I also discovered, when reading the lyrics, that what I thought was being sung, "bis mush," was actually, "this my shit." I should have learned from the "Michelle" debacle that nonsense words = wrong words, but being that I am a slow learner, I found myself shocked. Yes, shocked that the words weren't "bis mush." One would think that a girl with hearing aids would not be surprised to learn that she had misheard. But then, 'one' wouldn't really know my desperation to be right. That desperation probably stems from insecurity. I guess insecurity is "bis mush."

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is officially now my favorite guilty pleasure! You so funny! I see a trip to Austin for the Bloggie awards in you future!
    Brady

    ReplyDelete