Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Turn Around

Pinkalicious came shopping with me today at Target.  It was kind of weird because she used to go everywhere with me, but now that Mr. Monkey is here, it feels like a treat to get away just the two of us.  We were going for supplies for all the cleaning/organizing that I'm doing.  Check out my before and after of one of my "hot spots," my night stand.  Judge away, friends!

Before



After



In Target I was purchasing a binder for myself to organize my To-Do lists, weekly menu planning, etc., and as I went to grab a cute one for myself, Pinky spotted a Hello Kitty binder.  "Mama, I need the Hello Kitty binder for me," she exclaimed.  I asked her for what she planned on doing with it, and she began to tell me about how she will make sections for practicing her writing and her drawing and her lists....

As she finished talking I noticed two women come into our aisle, a mom and her college-age daughter.  The daughter began telling her mom about why she liked a particular planner/calendar.  This had both the month and the weekly outlook; it had a pocket for her to keep new contacts' business cards; there was a section for birthdays; it would be perfect for college in the fall, Mom, don't you think?  It was a surreal moment for me. Looking at the two of them, I felt like I was watching Pinkalicious and me in one of those Ghost of Christmas Future experiences.  Today it's a Hello Kitty binder for preschool practice, and very soon it's a planner for college.  We bought the binder.  It was a totally emotional purchase on my part. Now is the time for Hello Kitty binders and Cotton Candy LipSmackers and Princess nighties.


My mom used to sing me a lullaby when we would be up all night with my ear infections.  It just came to me, a song called "Turn Around."  So poignant for today.  Love you Mom!

Turn Around

Where are you going my little one, little one
Where are you going my baby, my own
Turn around and you're two
Turn around and you're four
Turn around and you're a young girl
Going out of the door

Turn around
Turn around
Turn around and you're a young girl
Going out of the door

Where are you going my little one, little one
Little pigtails and petticoats
Where have you gone
Turn around and you're tiny
Turn around and you're grown
Turn around and you're a woman
With babes of your own
Turn around
Turn around
Turn around and you're a woman
With babes of your own

Where are you going my little one, little one
Where are you going my baby, my own

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness...i couldn't ever get past the first verse of the song!!! these are emotions that have been overwhelming me lately! i even cried at alia's school when they watched a trailer for the toy story 3 movie! ugh. so embarassing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting in my empty classroom weeping! Soooo many sweet and tender memories for me, and memories to come for you, Sweet Dana! -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least I'm not the only one crying here. :) Thanks for sharing, Dana!

    ReplyDelete