Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ocean Blue to Burnished Brown

I would have to say that of all the women I know, my friend, Becka, has the best eye for home decorating. She really knows how to make her house into a home, but while doing it, she keeps her style current and uncluttered.

About a month before I moved to Vtown, she and I went to a Pottery Barn class about decorating for summer. It was my first time in a PB and I totally loved it. I always knew how to decorate for Christmas, but most of that kind is pulling big things into the house and adding tons of stuff for celebrating. What I learned that day was the idea of having some basic accent pieces that I can tweak to change the room. This system totally works for me because I'm not a furniture rearrange-er or painting party person or Showcase Showdown winner so these small things are enough for fun without hassle! The only things I change are vase fillers and pillowcases.

Well it is officially fall, which means that I need to change up the decor. Farewell seashells and hello leaves! Most everything has stayed the same this year, meaning that I'm not acquiring new things to use, except for two.

The first new thing I have for fall is this pillowcase I made. Jaime shared a tutorial she found on Cluck. Cluck. Sew and when I saw it, I had to make one too.  The difference between a beginner and professional is that I took 5 hours to make my pillow and Allison, of Cluck.Cluck.Sew, took 30 minutes to make hers.  haha  AH!!!  I'm sure if you tried it, you'd be somewhere in between.  I will slip in a quick note that I believe I have substantially more petals than she does.  I am anal retentive.  But I'm excited that this pillowcase can last me from September to March!
Can you see my toes in this picture?  [I'm about to brag, so grab your vomit bag.]  I have the BEST luck with pedicures!!  On my toes is my french manicure (french pedicure?) paint from 4.5 weeks ago.  My toenails grow super slow and the paint clings like a mother. If only my callouses would require less attention... TMI?



Okay, so my other excitement is this tree branch.  Scoff if you will, but I've been wanting something fall and tall for this large vase for almost two years.  I've been on the hunt and although you can find silk flowers in lots of stores, I just wasn't as happy with the quality of the others as I was for the Pottery Barn one.  So for Christmas last year, I asked for a Pottery Barn gift card from the in-laws and I've been saving it for this very thing!!  Just got it yesterday and I'm really happy with it.  Although as I look at it, I think I need some more rocks in that vase...?  What do you think? Something's kinda missing on the table when I see it in the picture, even though it looks fine in person. Hmm...




Happy Fall, everyone!
I wish you beautiful leaves and pumpkin spice lattes!

3 comments:

  1. What you are probably noticing is that the design scale is off. The branch has become the focal point because of its eye catching size and color. All the rest of your vases and the adorable circular wall-mounted candle holder are dwarfed in comparison. That's a big wall with a lot of negative (read: empty) space. The accessories need to be beefed up.

    With that said, I believe your cat knocked this lovely arrangement over making this a moot point.

    Either way...that's my 2 design cents...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily!!! I'm not really sure how to resolve it, but I appreciate your input!! I am sure Miss Elizabeth was communicating the same thing! haha

    ReplyDelete