Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Family Outing (No, I'm not gay)

The Hubs and I went with Mr. Monkey and Pinkalicious to Target (pronounced: tar-shay, if you're desperately clamoring for a shred of class) the other day and we had a great time in the toy section.  Lucky for me, I had my camera to capture the fun!





Look at this freaky-ass Barbie wannabe!!!  I literally backed away in revulsion.  It's too hard to see it in the picture, but this "girl" has golden, star-shaped nipples under her dress that you can totally see. 

1) What the hell?

2) Who would buy this for their kid?

3) Did Target receive a shipment intended for Spencer's Gifts?

4) Why is the clearance price $11.88?! 

This should be a Dundee, not a 4+ child's toy.






Here are modern Barbies.  I thought it was picture-worthy because someone came through and paired Barbie up with a Jacob doll.  Look out Ken; your competition comes in wolf form.





This made my heart skip a beat:  Peaches and Cream Barbie!!!!!!  This was the first Barbie I owned.  I was determined to win it at my school's jog-a-thon during my second year of preschool.  I can promise you there are no hidden stars on this Barbie doll!





Was anyone else a Rainbow Brite fan?  I had the doll and watched the cartoon.  It's weird to see trinkets from my childhood being resold to my daughter.  I wonder how many kids are into these 80s toys, and how many of the toys are actually purchased by parents who want to recreate their childhood for their children? 





I was not the only one reliving childhood memories.  I walked back and spotted The Hubs drooling over Nerf toys and plotting which ones we'll be buying for future Christmases.  Here he is, posing with the sleeping Monkey (pay no attention to that kid behind the blanket) and his favorite Nerf toy of all time - The Dart Gun.





In the end, nothing caught Pinkalicious' attention more than the keyboard.  She enjoyed playing for a while as we all enjoyed mooching off of Target's AC. 

Note:  This is Pinky when I say "Look at me and say 'broccoli!'"  My kid never smiles at the camera.  Whenever you see a picture where she is actually looking AND smiling, know that it took about five minutes to be captured. 


Oh Target, you are the land of red circles, free AC, and real Icees (another fond memory).  And your return policy sucks.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Peaches and Cream Barbie! All we need is a fake pregnancy, some scandalicious cheating action and the Corvette and we're back in my room in 1987! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of those 80's toys bring back fond memories, Dana! Ken's new competition, Jacob, is a much better alternative to 60's rival, Poindexter. There was NO doll for him, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... I love that someone played matchmaker with Jacob and Barbie!! LOL. That "gold star" barbie is crazy!! Eleven bucks! No wonder they're in the clearance section...I wonder if they even sold ONE...
    Oh and Brandon is forever on the search for the OLD school Nerf turbo football..to no avail

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post didn't disappoint...

    1. I would love to see hooker Barbie in an elephant exchange this coming Christmas.

    2. The Jacob doll was "LOL" funny!

    3. I had peaches and cream Barbie too!! Pastels were sooooo big in the 80s. I recall wanting each room of my future house to be a different pale color.

    4. I certainly hope Pinky has a keyboard of her own at home. I know her Momma is surely nurturing those musical talents that she must have passed on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note on Target's return policy...it does suck, BUT I found out if you break something such as their very cheap $9.99 sunglasses before you even get out of the store, they will allow you to return it. I still don't have any sunglasses, but at least I got my money back. :) Although, I might not have admitted to myself actually breaking the sunglasses, but if they break from a little tugging to get the tag off that shouldn't be my fault...right???

    ReplyDelete