Thursday, September 2, 2010

Flowers for Fall

It's September!! And with a change in the month and weather (albeit, we're back in the 100s now), I wanted to get a little crafty to celebrate. Craftiness is something I have gleaned from my Vtown friends. It is not a natural character trait, so it's always a gamble when I take on a new project.

Jaime (of John Mayer and The Baeza Blog) mentioned fabric flowers in one of her blog posts back in the spring, and I remembered her saying it was easy. She is a craft queen and I should have known that when she says it's easy, that is not equalvilant for a girl who is all thumbs (although, being all thumbs, I could probably kick her butt at the Hand Jive.). So I gave it a try and chronicled in pictures.



First I cut my fabric into 22" x 4" strips and sewed it together to make a ribbon-ish thing (that's the technical term).



I wove thread along the bottom and cinched up the fabric as I went.



Then I sewed it together.  If the thread didn't blend with the fabric you would see the world's largest spiderweb of thread on the back of this puppy.  This was truly the hardest part for me.  I could not keep the darn thing wound around and/or I couldn't keep it from looking like a fancy coaster.  I'm sure I let some expletives fly.  This should be easy. "Should."



A slightly tilted view of the front.  Once I finished sewing the flowers, I glued a broach pin on the back so that we can wear them - in case you're wondering what the heck someone is supposed to do with a fabirc flower.  As I look at it in this photo, I'm not all that impressed.  They look better in person.  No hard feelings if you click to another blog.



My pile of finished rosettes!



I used my Cricut and made these tags. 
"Happy as a lark to be doing MOPS with you this year!"



A pretty package!



My stash for my new MOPS table and Pinkalicious' preK teachers, Miss Leslie and Miss Diane.



Of course I have to have one for myself!!! 



By the end of making the pins, I felt pretty confident (and I streamed the whole series of "The Hills."  Train Wreck!!!).  I'm very happy with how they turned out! And I'm also happy that Heidi and Spencer did not have a baby.

Thanks to Jaime for sharing her cool idea, and to all you crafty gals for inspiring me to dust off my glue gun and go for it!

2 comments:

  1. I love mine! Which, by the way means I also love being at your table! =) You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOW we're talking . good job DD.

    ReplyDelete