Sunday, September 5, 2010

The LBC, part 2

For the last 40 years, my family has been going for Chinese food at Le-Yen. My great grandparents first discovered it, and our whole extended family loved it. Once my parents and I moved to Orange County, our visits were only for special occasions. And since my immediate family moved to Vtown three years ago, we haven't been at all. So while the aquarium was loads of fun, I think it was a secret excuse to go to Le-Yen. =) If you find yourself in the LBC with a hankering for some egg flour soup, consider Le-Yen's. It's at 4140 N. Atlantic Ave.






I don't think they've replaced their serving ware at all in the last 40 years.  This may be off-putting to new comers, but it was like a "welcome home" to me.


Pinkalicious loved her chicken nuggets and shrimp.  Not such a fan of the fried rice, though. =)





I forgot to take a picture of the fortune cookies and almond cookies before we each had one.  It's a tradition to open the fortune cookies first and to take turns reading them aloud.  You may be scoffing that I would call it a tradition, but there are so few things my family does repetively that don't include recliners and Jeopardy, that I call it a tradition.
Here are our fortunes:

Dad: "Your good nature will bring you much happiness." This was especially funny because he was kinda pissed at that particular moment.

Mom: "Business and health matters will improve around you." We all felt glad to be around her, and bummed for her that her situation was apparently going to continue to suck.

The Hubs: "You will be surrounded by things of luxury." I'm holding him to that.

Me: "Continue to use your talents in art and music."  Since then I have only been speaking through song.

Pinkalicious: "You are a leader in your own way."  We're not sure if that backs up her benevolent dictatorship, or if it's like saying that an ugly person has alot of character in their face.





Wasn't sure if the statue's handful of coins was an offering, or some sort of Asian "Need a penny, take a penny."  I figured I wouldn't find out by taking a quarter and ending up with Mushu rallying my ancestors against me.  We were happy enough to be taking the leftovers home! =)

5 comments:

  1. hahaha... I think people think if they put money on their statues they will be prosperous...you should see the small fortune (bills included!!) on the buddha statue at Pho N Seafood! That's just my guess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly true and totally fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my luxury!
    -Hubs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed so hard I cried at the fortune cookie comments! I love reading your blog - i can totally hear your voice in it :)

    ReplyDelete