Monday, December 6, 2010

Pinky, Papa, and Peter

My dad's favorite Disney movie is Peter Pan. He loves anything pirate, really, and several of my most embarrassing and funny "Dad" moments include instances when he's talked like a pirate in public. Ar, Matey! But because my dad, "Papa" to Pinky, loves Peter Pan, she loves Peter Pan. Despite Captain Hook, spiteful mermaids, bombs, and Tiger Lily's near-drowning, it is the only movie she will watch without asking to fast forward something. Whenever she watches the movie or reads the book, it's because "this is Papa's favorite, so I need to."  I love how she loves my dad and loves to spend time with him.

I stayed with my parents when I traveled with the kids for a quick trip to visit some friends, Becka and Allie.  We all live apart now and it was a great reunion of our cute selves and our kids who had never played together before. Both Becka and Allie are truly authentic women who have blessed me in many ways.  Four hours was not enough time, but I'm so glad we had that!!

Here are three of the five (and a half) cutie kiddos!



Because we were coming to town, my parents offered to take Pinkalicious and me to see Peter Pan 360.  I was SO jazzed to see it when I had checked it out some months before.  You can click on the video on their website to get a taste.  It is performed on a circular stage and the scenery is projected onto the ceiling of the tent just above the audience.  As Peter and the others fly through London and off to Neverland, they are lifted into the air in the middle and the projection moves so that it looks like they are really flying.  It's amazing!  And while I was so excited to get to see this new adaptation, Pinky was so excited to see a play with Papa that was Peter Pan!!!

I thought our tickets were for Tuesday night, so we dressed up and headed to the theater.  Just as we were stepping out of the car my dad noticed that they were for Wednesday night.  Pinkalicious was heartbroken!  I haven't seen her sob like that in a very long time.  My dad did what any grandparent would do and offered to do dessert as a fun option - destination: Rainforest Cafe!!  If you've never been, I would definitely recommend it!  There are aquariums and automated animals everywhere in a jungle theme.  It's always raining on the perimeter of the restaurant, but every 30 minutes a storm comes through and the rain increases with thunder.  It's quite an experience!

Dancing - I remember doing that! =)





This is me with my fellow monkey brain.  I'll bet he thought the tickets were for tonight, too.


How ironic.  An ad for our show on the placemat.



Dessert to share - it was as good as it looks!




Feeling the rain!


Wednesday night came and we did it all over again (even in the same clothes!), but this time we actually made it! What a thrilling performance!! I especially enjoyed the mermaids who "swam" like Circ de Soleil. Pinkalicious loved it from beginning to end, except when the pirates were fighting the Lost Boys. Oh, and when Captain Hook slit a pirates throat. haha  She is still asking to go again... with Papa. =)



Behind the sign is the tent, beautifully lit.

The waiting area was set with lots of lovely, comfortable seating and cute decorations.


I got one picture inside. Apparently the stage is copywrited so pictures aren't allowed.
We sat in the back row, so this gives you a nice feeling about the size of the tent.  You can see the lights in the middle, which is where the lines would drop for the characters to fly, and then outward from that the scenery was projected on the entire ceiling.   The props were on doors that rotated them under the stage and brought new ones up on the other side.


What a great time we had and special memories made!  Thanks Mom for babysitting Mr. Monkey, and thank you Dad for two fun evenings.  You were the best part!

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment