Friday, May 13, 2011

In 2000 years...

At the end of a long day at Disneyland, The Hubs and I had split up to accomplish our final tasks and we agreed to meet at the entrance to the park.  He heroically offered to take the kids and get the stroller while I emptied the locker.  All of this was during the fireworks.

I wish I had a picture because words cannot describe what it's like to swim through the thousands of people en masse on Main Street, gawking at a fantastic show overhead. There's supposed to be a moving pathway, but most everyone who is on that path was too short-sighted to grab a spot before the show and so they're trying to watch the sky, find a spot to stand on the ground, all while walking  in the opposite direction of the focal point.  Disney employees are shouting for people to move, "Keep the line MOVING!!!!!!" The people in wheelchairs are usually tired of being overlooked and are starting to ram the legs of the ones who won't get out of the way, babies in strollers are crying because everything is so loud, and everyone stops to look each time there is a POP sound, which is every two seconds because it's a fireworks show.

I barely managed to get myself over to sidewalk in front of The Clothiers where the crowd was ending.  Everyone peeled off into the street and I was the only person who didn't stop to spectate.  The lights lit up the sky and the Haunted Mansion narration played.  Everyone oooo-ed  and ahhh-ed and I could see their faces smiling as I passed.  Soon the crowd was behind me and I was walking alone, the sounds of the show in the distance.  The train pulled up to the platform and I could hear the announcement, "The Disneyland Limited, now arriving..." and in that moment I wondered at where I was.  I thought back to my trip to Italy when I walked through the Colosseum hearing stories about the Romans and their entertainment.  In 2000 years, will any of Disneyland be left?  I walked under the bridge of the Disneyland train and I remembered touring the floor where the gladiators walked.  What will people say of Disneyland in 2000 years?  Will they talk of the Castle?  The crowds?  The train?  The firework show? What will people think of us and our days at Disneyland?  Will anyone care?  I tried to imagine being on a cruisetour to visit the ruins of a magical kingdom.  It was surreal.

People were on the other side of the train platform, still taking pictures with the floral Mickey, and I was thrust back to 2011. I was Mom and Wife again to my dear family and off we went, living our todays that will be olden times for someone else.  Life is funny that way.
signature

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dana!! Your blog posts make me smile. We are headed down there Sunday night! I will now think of what 2,000 year legacy Disneyland will leave. Hope you have a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time there Denise! And think of my boycott as you climb Tarzan's Treehouse! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just totally freaked me out! Lol

    ReplyDelete