Monday, June 13, 2011

Provision

For the last several years, The Hubs and I have been saving up for a vacation to celebrate our tenth anniversary. Dreams of Hawaii have drifted through my mind, or the hope of returning to London again, where we honeymooned. I had it in my mind yesterday to begin planning for next summer's romantic getaway so I went on Facebook to solicit suggestions for where we could visit. The Hubs and I discussed it several times in the afternoon.

At 11pm, when we got home from our day-trip to the coast, we found puddles of water all over the floor, slowly creeping to the lowest point in our house (perhaps the grate in the floor of the fireplace that leads to One-Eyed Willy?) originating from the refrigerator. Doing the best we could to mop it up, we emptied the ice, bought new ice from the store to fill up the fridge and freezer and keep them cool, and went to bed.

Today has been full of more puddles, repairmen, a pronouncement of death on our fridge, and a trip to Sears. This new fridge has been brought to us by... our tenth anniversary vacation fund!

I admit that I was sad for about five minutes. And those aren't sarcastic "five minutes." But why be sad, really?   I am thankful that we have the money to buy a brand new refrigerator.  I'm thankful that we have so much food that we need multiple coolers to house it while we wait for a new fridge.  I'm thankful for ice whenever I want it.  We are blessed beyond measure!

The Hubs and I could have spent a week on a beach somewhere together, but instead, we can keep food fresh and feed our family for years to come.  This is the life we wanted to celebrate, and we can celebrate it by living it.

Thank you Mom, Dad, Jim and Katherine, Aunt Rene` and Uncle Mark, Grandma Shirley and Grandma Bromiley for your generosity over Christmases and birthdays!  You have purchased us a beautiful new refrigerator and we are so thankful for YOU!!!


signature

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your vacation soon. The fridge must come first, so you made the better choice. I hope you have everything patched up now. Water damage can be particularly sneaky, like a hole on the roof!

    ReplyDelete